Sunday 16 June 2013

Preparation

There are a lot of things to do before we can cast off the dock lines, and although a lot of them are done, there is a long list remaining.
The hull is polished, the bottom sanded and painted, the deck is washed and the sides of the deckhouse gleam with wax.
I still have to find enough bodies to haul me up the mast so I can fix a couple of issues with the rig and look for more. I'd like to find any problems before we're off the west coast. I need to replace the deck light, clean the spreaders and retape the spreader tips, and do a few more housekeeping chores while I'm up there but I'm not fond of going up...



I have to paint new non-skid in the cockpit because there is no more traction left and that's dangerous, and I'd like to install a rudder angle sensor to help the autopilot but I'm not sure I can get back in there without losing about 150 pounds. Even if I can get back in there, I may never get out without the Jaws of Life.
There is a slow, oozing leak developing from the macerator pump, and I don't want to do anything involving that unless it's totally critical because that drains the black water tank and nothing involving black water is fun. I have a replacement pump just in case and there are valves to isolate the pump, but it's still going to be ugly.

 On the bright side, our technology is installed and working, so far. One of the huge advantages we have over the pioneers in these waters is the technology available to us. GPS, reliable depth sounders, cell phones and VHF radios are the basics now, while laptop computers running charting programs are common. We have many routes sketched in to see what makes sense to do where and when. Sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly where we are supposed to be going, except for the need for northing.

    The first challenge is going to be the series of rapids we have to traverse to get through the Discovery Islands, which require waiting for the right stage of tide for each one. We aren't going to be totally bereft of creature comforts, there are many resorts along the path if we need to stop in for showers, or laundry, or a gourmet meal. Coincidentally, most of these are situated close to rapids which require waiting to transit. We are taking the scenic route through the mainland passes instead of going up Johnstone Strait, at least so far. If the weather doesn't favour a mainland coast approach, I have a course mapped out going up the east coast of Vancouver Island. It's all up in the air right now, it's three weeks out and I have bigger fish to fry.





No comments:

Post a Comment